Simon Wolf's Writings

Sometimes random, occasionally focused, rarely proof-read

Apr 22, 2014

Like most people I cycled as a kid. Like many people I've rediscovered cycling as an adult. In neither period of my life have I ever suffered from a puncture whilst out riding. This is definitely a good thing, if only because, whilst I thought I knew the theory, I'd never actually repaired or replaced an inner tube.

Continue reading

Mar 29, 2014

If everything had gone according to plan this post would have been entitled something like 'avTag Released!' because I'd wanted to have it in the App Store before this year's NSConference. Sadly it hasn't all gone to plan and so it isn't. As a result this post is a quick update on why things are behind schedule and what is happening.

Continue reading

Nov 26, 2013

Following on from my last post about incrementing build numbers when using Xcode's Bots and pushing the changes to your Git repository, this post contains a small script to tag your build.

Continue reading

Nov 25, 2013

Following up on my recent post about Xcode Bots I wanted write up some brief notes about how I have configured a project so that an archive build Bot bumps the project's build number and then commits that back to the Git repository. Normally I would do things like this using a Run Script build phase but here's a slightly different approach using Xcode's Schemes.

Continue reading

Nov 18, 2013

For me the Auto Layout improvements in Xcode 5's Interface Builder made it a usable replacement to the old springs and struts mechanism. Over the last few weeks I've been learning a lot about Auto Layout so I thought it would be a good idea to pass on some of the tricks I've picked up but mainly I wanted to document some of the bits I struggle to remember.

I'll add to this list as my Auto Layout skills improve.

Continue reading

Nov 14, 2013

For some time I've been wanting to set up a Continuous Integration server but, as a solo developer, I've never had the overwhelming need to do so. At least not to make me jump through all the hoops necessary to set up a Jenkins server. However when Apple announced Xcode Bots at WWDC 2013 it became a feature I really wanted to try. Unfortunately during the Mavericks beta period I kept hearing tales of anguish and woe so I avoided it all until yesterday.

Continue reading

Sep 21, 2013

Updated: Please see an update at the end of this post about how it all turned out.

I've had a Drobo for around four years now and until yesterday I've never experienced any hardware failure or data loss issues. That changed yesterday afternoon and I'm sorry to say that it is something I could have avoided.

Continue reading

Jun 3, 2013

Just over a month ago I wrote a blog post about my intention to release a beta of avTag before WWDC. Today, one week before WWDC begins, I shipped beta 1 to 23 testers.

What people don't know is that a few days after making my commitment I also decided to make a more immediate, more terminal one during a discussion with another developer. That was that if I couldn't ship an alpha version to a very small group of people within a week I'd pull the plug on avTag.

Continue reading

May 20, 2013

Whilst I was developing avTag I started using HockeyApp to distribute builds to beta testers. As part of that process I decided to follow their advice and configure my project so that I could have debug, beta and App Store builds all installed on devices concurrently. You then have access to the three states of your application quickly and easily. However I found some of the configuration notes slightly confusing and although Andreas Linde gave me some very handy notes I've decided to write things up in a more agnostic way. I wholeheartedly recommend HockeyApp but realise that some of you are either tied in to things like TestFlight or simply don't use a distribution service.

Continue reading

May 4, 2013

One aspect of FTS is that you need to 'sanitise' the text you are searching for. For example, if your source text was 'École' then you want it to be matched if the search term is something like 'ecole' or 'Ecole' or 'école'.

I've previously touched on this where I suggested using a possibly flawed NSString category to strip diacritic marks from the text you were storing in an FTS table.

I've now been told about an alternative.

Continue reading